Soap and Candle making scales
Scales are absolutely necessary when it comes to soap and candle making. Everything is weighted and measured to ensure you have enough to fill your mold
There are three types of scales often used in soap making and we will discuss the differences of each and which you should consider based on your level in making candle and soaps.
Depending on where you live in the world you are either using the metric system, the British imperial system or the United States customary system. In any event we will discuss the Imperial system as the Bahamas was once a British colony.
Your scale should give a read out of either measuring system so as you can be comfortable and not have to convert each time. The key here however as you upgrade your scale is to have on in your possession that can give you at least two decimal points to the right i.e.. 0.25
Recommended Beginner and Intermediate scale
Kitchen Scale, Digital & Mechanical Scale
- ACCURATE TO A T – Made with 4 Japanese-precision sensors, this digital kitchen scale will give you accurate weight every single time.
- SUPER SMART FEATURES – Your new scale comes with auto-tare and instant unit conversion for 6 UNITS. (g, kg, lb, oz, ml, milk ml)
- SLEEK, UPGRADED DESIGN – Our new thinner version is a breeze to clean and looks beautiful sitting on your kitchen counter.
I know how it was for us when we started making candles and soap. Everything was on a budget.
Having a tight budget doesn’t mean you are out of luck it just means you have to be a bit resourceful. We searched through our local stores and online to find a low cost scale that we can get started with.
Ok yeah I get it, scales are not that expensive so what’s the issue? Well we were on a really tight budget. We found a well reviewed scale and bought it. It did its job for good while which is why we placed it here as a recommended product.
The only hiccup with this scale is you have to ensure it is on a flat and level surface otherwise it does not read the weight accurately.
Recommended Heavy duty scale – steel
Digital Food Scale, Stainless Steel
- SCOTCHGARD ANTI-FOG COATING has an active ingredient that bonds to the lenses to help keep them clear longer than regular coatings, based on 3M internal testing
- DESIGNED FOR CHALLENGING SITUATIONS such as hot and humid conditions, indoor and outdoor work, physically demanding tasks, and climate-controlled areas.
- COMFORT: Low profile protective eyewear provides soft nose bridge and padded temples for added comfort
There will come a time when you realize that the smaller scale is just not large enough to measure out heavier weights. This is when you will want to upgrade your scale to a larger heavy duty scale.
When searching for a heavy duty scale we had a better sense of what was needed during candle and soap making. There are times that products will spill and you will want something that can take a beating.
The stainless steel heavy duty scales are your best bet. They can handle up to 9 pound’s of weight but as low as an ounce.
Other forms of measurements
Although a scale is the best way to measure most of your candle and soap ingredients there are other methods of measurements you will need especially for your additives and just because its easier to use other items.
Recommended Measuring cups
2 Cup (16 Ounce) Glass Measuring Cup
- Easy to read measurements
- Made of Durrable Glass
- Microwave and dishwasher safe
Measuring cups become very useful throughout the years of candle and soap making. They can be used to measure of course but can be used to contain heated substances.
We talked a bit about our recommended measuring cups that are heat tempered in our soap recommended products.
These cups are heat tempered and able to withstand the heat of melted wax and other ingredients without breaking and causing bodily harm.
These are indispensable and they will be come an excellent addition to your tools.
Recommended Measuring spoons
Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons Set of 9 Piece
- 1/16 tsp, 1/8 tsp, 1/4 tsp, 1/3 tsp, 1/2 tsp, 3/4 tsp, 1 tsp, 1/2 tbsp & 1 tbsp Dry and Liquid Ingredients
The small measuring spoons are unbelievably useful. There have been many times when I needed to measure out 1/2 oz up to a table spoon of one ingredient or the other. This is where these measuring spoons come in very handy.
In soap making they can be used to measure out the right amount of colorant to be used in the soap you are about to make and are very precise
In candle making it can also be used to add a bit of fragrance or even remove extra wax from a pouring pitcher without throwing your expected weight off.
Keep these handy as they will become a normal tool in your soap and candle making.